Problem: Random e-mails (most notably distribution group e-mails) are delivered to users with stripped bodies, i.e. no text inside the e-mail.
I was not sure where to start with this, so I began my search in the obvious places… Microsoft Message Tracking and the spam filter. Well… for one, the company was not using a smart-host and this was happening on internal e-mails, so I could rule out the spam filter. I attempted to troubleshoot using message tracker, but of course it would only tell me the e-mail was delivered.
I patched and configured the server until I was blue in the face to make sure all the bugs were removed. The server was configured identically to most 2003 servers I’ve come across. The server had Eset anti-virus (non-Exchange version) which we upgraded… uninstalled… replaced… nothing resolved the issue.
Finally, I did some research on CommVault and NetVault (both running on the server, unsure of job status because at the time I did not have access to the backup software as I was an outside consultant only given specific access. On a whim I disabled both and had them do several tests… all of which worked successfully.
Internally they made the decision to discontinue the use of one of the backup solutions on the Exchange server.
Resolution: Don’t use two log-based backup solutions on an Exchange server. I imagine both solutions had some sort of continous backup technology where they were constantly monitoring and backing up logs, causing the e-mail text to be misplaced.