Small Business Server 2011 migration issues

Here are some of the common issues I’ve run into on back to back migrations from Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 to Small Business Server 2011:

Error: Object not found when trying to migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2003
Solution: Add the SBS 2011 computer object to the “Exchange Domain Servers” group manually. Reboot SBS 2011 to complete the process.

Error: Trying to login to Outlook Web Access results in IIS server error 500
Solution: Ensure that the Microsoft Exchange Forms-Based Authentication service is started. One way to ensure this starts in the future is to modify the service to be Automatic (Delayed).

How To: Easiest way to migrate shares from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011
Ycopy (has a easy to use GUI interface)

How To: Migrating Recipient Policies and Address Lists
Get-EmailAddressPolicy | where {$_.RecipientFilterType -eq "Legacy"} | Set-EmailAddressPolicy -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients
Set-AddressList "All Users" -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers
Set-AddressList "All Groups" -IncludedRecipients Mailgroups
Set-AddressList "All Contacts" -IncludedRecipients MailContacts
Set-AddressList "Public Folders" -RecipientFilter {RecipientType -eq "PublicFolder"}
Set-GlobalAddressList "Default Global Address List" -RecipientFilter {(Alias -ne $null -and (ObjectClass -eq 'user' -or ObjectClass -eq 'contact' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchSystemMailbox' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchDynamicDistributionList' -or ObjectClass -eq 'group' -or ObjectClass -eq 'publicFolder'))}

Outlook error: Cannot open default mail folders
Option 1. Verify the MS Exchange RPC Client Access service is running
Option 2. Set-RpcClientAccess –Server server_name –EncryptionRequired $False

Disappearing E-mail Text

Problem: Random e-mails (most notably distribution group e-mails) are delivered to users with stripped bodies, i.e. no text inside the e-mail.

I was not sure where to start with this, so I began my search in the obvious places… Microsoft Message Tracking and the spam filter. Well… for one, the company was not using a smart-host and this was happening on internal e-mails, so I could rule out the spam filter. I attempted to troubleshoot using message tracker, but of course it would only tell me the e-mail was delivered.

I patched and configured the server until I was blue in the face to make sure all the bugs were removed. The server was configured identically to most 2003 servers I’ve come across. The server had Eset anti-virus (non-Exchange version) which we upgraded… uninstalled… replaced… nothing resolved the issue.

Finally, I did some research on CommVault and NetVault (both running on the server, unsure of job status because at the time I did not have access to the backup software as I was an outside consultant only given specific access. On a whim I disabled both and had them do several tests… all of which worked successfully.

Internally they made the decision to discontinue the use of one of the backup solutions on the Exchange server.

Resolution: Don’t use two  log-based backup solutions on an Exchange server. I imagine both solutions had some sort of continous backup technology where they were constantly monitoring and backing up logs, causing the e-mail text to be misplaced.